In 1855 the DeSoto Parish Police Jury gave a lot to the Methodist Church of Mansfield. That lot later became the site of the Mansfield Female College. Epworth Hall, a two-story structure, was built and connected to the main building of the Mansfield Female College by an arched walkway. Eppworth Hall contained the dining hall on the lower floor and the auditorium, complete with a stage and dressing rooms on the upper floor.
Today, previously referred to as the Lyceum, Eppworth Hall has undergone a complete renovation/reconstruction and has been renamed to honor Clista Andrews Calhoun! The Clista A. Calhoun Center is owned and operated by the Friends of the Mansfield Female College Museum, a 501 (c) 3 Non-Profit organization.
Along with funds of over $500,000 from private sources, taxpayer funding administered through the City of Mansfield, and with in-kind contributions the DeSoto Parish Police Jury helped with matching funds of $500,000.00, making the $1.2 million dollar restoration/renovation possible. The Clista A. Calhoun Center was completed in September 2012.
The Friends of the Mansfield Female College hosted the Texaco Country Showdown - Local Competition as the first event. The Competition was greatly supported by area businesses and generous donors as a fund-raiser for the Friends organization.
The Clista A. Calhoun Center celebrated its Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting on November 3, 2012! The public was invited to tour the facility and see what the Center offers to the community. The Center is proving to be a welcome addition to the Community and is the Venue of choice!
We are now taking reservations for events and business meeting! Call now to book your special date.